Thursday, March 3, 2016

Aria Phase Shifter Ps-10 - wowowowowowowowowow - Pt. 1

Aria Phase Shifter PS-10, Pt. 1



What is Phasing?

Wowowowowowowowowowow. 

That's the best I can put it for you. Wowowowowowowowowowowowowowow. To make a lot of presumptions about my audience, ever listen to Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd? If not, go youtube Pink Floyd - Brain Damage real quick, and you'll get a solid sample of what a Phase shifting pedal will do to an electric guitar. 

To get technical, phase shifting takes the signal coming from your electric guitar, adds another signal, and offsets that by a small fraction of time. Phasing is a time delay effect. There's a lot of different effects on an analog signal. Here's what you need to know right now;
  • Electric guitars produce an analog signal
  • analog signals can be altered by the addition and bypass of other analog signals
  • This is not a computer synthesized effect; it is a modulation on the analog signal
The best way I can put this, is phasing causes the sound to phase into the left side, and phase out of the right. This gives the feeling that your music is moving forward in a direction, because the sound is moving from the left side to the right side. It is a very small effect, but it has a huge impact on overall tone of your guitar. The cool part is, these same rules apply to say, synthesizer pianos. Anything that has a quarter-inch jack out, can be plugged into an analog effect pedal. Keep this in mind for this first blog. I just got my taxes done, and I'm feeling a bit frustrated about not doing my taxes myself when I was younger. There'll be more in depth on this particular pedal tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment